aestival: of or belonging to the summer

The summer always goes by so quickly. After Jon and I returned from our vacation, Rachel and I took advantage of the berry picking season and picked blueberries and raspberries. It was a crazy busy day for Blueberry Hill ~ everyone wanted to pick berries that day! But we managed to get the perfect amount for each of us. We went home and washed the beautiful berries and then stuck 'em in a freezer (after we ate some of course) so we could enjoy them during the colder months.

Jon and I have been trying to get most of our produce at the farmer's market this summer. I have just finished reading the most amazing book and it's inspired me to try to eat more of my food from local sources. The book is called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (same author as Poisonwood Bible). I learned a lot about how our nation produces food and how that effects our lives and our future. So, we've been enjoying the Saturday morning farmer's market at PSU! Hopefully we'll be able to do it more regularly once our schedule gets back to normal, after conventions and our upcoming trip to Cancun!
No comments:
Post a Comment